Lead poisoning is our country's #1 preventable pediatric health problem according to the Centers for Disease Control. 1.7 million children have unsafe blood lead levels. If you live in a house built before 1978, you may have lead paint in your home. Lead exposure can cause brain and nervous system damage, hyperactivity, learning disabilities, kidney damage, and impaired hearing.
Safe Shelter performs X-Ray Flourescence (XRF) testing for lead paint. This type of testing is fast, accurate, and non-destructive.
Please contact us for more information.
For more information on the dangers of lead poisoning, please see:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- National Institutes of Health (NIH)
In a moldy environment, people that are sensitive to molds may experience:
- nasal stuffiness
- throat irritation,
- coughing or wheezing,
- eye irritation,
- skin irritation.
People with mold allergies may have more severe reactions. Immune-compromised people and people with chronic lung illnesses, such as obstructive lung disease, may get serious infections in their lungs when they are exposed to mold.
Safe Shelter performs air sampling for mold spores to determine both the number of spores in the air and the mold species. Many times the air contains high levels of mold spores when there is no visible mold growth.
Safe Shelter will also take samples of suspected mold growing in the home. For more information, visit the Centers for Disease Control website.
Radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the United States. Safe Shelter performs both short and long term Radon testing. See our Radon page for more information.